"It profits me but little that a vigilant authority always protects the tranquillity of my pleasures and constantly averts all dangers from my path, without my care or concern, if this same authority is the absolute master of my liberty and my life."

--Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

I Love America, But...

I love America.   Or, rather, I, like many conservatives, love an idea of America based on our founding documents, the Constitution and the Declaration, the history of the country and its heroes (Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln), its traditions (self-reliance, love of liberty, pioneering, invention, entrepreneurship, Judeo-Christian morality), and its military strength (dominant at the end of World War II, dominant after the end of the Cold War).   Individuals bound together in a free economy with freedom to pursue happiness, whether through business or art or religion or whatever the individual wants, without the strong hand of government restraining them.

How have we fallen so far that we wake up to see this?















This is right up there in terms of disappointing with the Catholic Church's pederasty scandal.   Institutions we are supposed to count on:  the Army, the Church, the Family... are falling apart in America.

No comments:

Post a Comment